Sunday, January 19, 2014

Blue Monday

Have you heard about Blue Monday? Up until today, I thought Blue Monday was simply one of my favorite candy bars made right here in Kentucky. And it is. But turns out a few years ago, a company decided to do a publicity campaign by naming a Monday in January as the most depressing day of the year. I read about it in the newspaper today, so of course, went out googling to see what I could find. And as with everything, lots of info is waiting out there in the internet world. There's even an actual formula. It's weather (not so hot - literally - for many of us in January) plus debt from overspending. Add to that the time since Christmas and the time when we are facing the fact that we've failed to keep our New Year's resolutions. Then divide it all by low motivational levels and the feeling that you ought to be doing something about all that and you get a day when all is gray in our lives. Sadness reigns and we are encouraged to muddle through the most depressing day of the year. 

At any rate, this campaign has caught our attention and now we're trying to figure out exactly which Monday in January is actually that most depressing one. Some say the third Monday or tomorrow. Some say the first Monday. Some are too depressed to say anything. If only we all had a Blue Monday candy bar and a sunny window and a great book to read, then blue Monday would be a thing of the past. That sunny window is actually what the psychologists say we should seek out to chase away the winter blues and everybody knows a little chocolate can be a spirit lifter. 

By the way, the same man credited with figuring out a January Monday is the most depressing day of the year, also decided on the happiest day of the year. That, he claims, falls generally in June between the 21st and the 24th. Those can be some pretty nice days of summer with plentiful sunshine and they sell those chocolate bars all year long. 

So how do you feel about it? Do Mondays make you blue? Is tomorrow the most depressing day of the year? I would think not since many people are having a school and work holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Maybe they (whoever they are) should pick a different Monday.   

 "You can't change what happened last week, but you can learn from it and choose happiness this week." ~Anton K. Kressnig

I'm for that! Let's choose happiness this week. Thanks for reading. By the way, starting in February I'm changing my blog schedule a bit. I'll just post here once a week and move Jocie's Hollyhill blog post to Wednesdays. After all, I've got a book to write. 

6 comments:

  1. First, I've never heard of Blue Monday candy bars. They look yummy, though. Second, I've long felt that January is a depressing month. I think it's because after the holidays are over there's not much excitement until Valentine's Day. Sure, we get MLK Day and usually there is at least one snow day off of school, but other than that there isn't much to get excited about in January. I think I'd choose the 2nd Monday as the most depressing, not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Monday candy bars are sort of a Kentucky special, Amy, but you can go to Ruth Hunt Candies' website, www.ruthhuntcandy.com, and check them out. The original one and my favorite is the dark chocolate one. Pulled cream candy with chocolate coating. 2nd Monday sounds like a good choice. It seems to be according to how gray the skies are and how long they've been gray that figures into whether the day is depressing.

      Delete
  2. Okay, Miss Ann, I am choosing happiness over depression. No Blue Mondays for me. We don't have the Blue Monday candy bar in Texas but I sure wish I had one. The thought of candy and a good book brings a smile to my face every time. I wish for you many candy and good book Mondays.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Melanie. Who wouldn't choose happiness over depression? But there are days when the blues come to visit and a gray wintry January day can be one of those. Of course, we're just talking about those slight blue feelings and not the depression that can plunge people into low valleys for days and months. My aunt suffered from that kind of depression. But for our slight cases of the blues, a chocolate bar and a good book would be great cures. A little winter sunshine helps too.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Melanie, I am choosing happiness over depression. No Blue Mondays for me either. I know depression for some people exist and I would never put anyone down that experiences it. I for one have days when I'm feeling down but I wouldn't call it depressed. For instances news of a friend who passed away, an illness, an unexpected bill to pay, lets face it, situations do crop up. I really had my eyes open this past Sunday in Church. There is always a devotional by one of our Church Elders before we partake of communion every Sunday. Here is what Travis left us with. (Definitely food for thought)
    “What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?”
    I have changed my ways and thank God for many, many, more things each day. When you do this, how can you be depressed?

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've named some reasons we can get down, Judy. But we can sometimes choose happiness over depression when it's a simple case of the blues. But we all know that some cases of depression aren't easily chased away. I've always been glad that I could shake those blues with a better day on the morrow. I really like your church elder's devotional thought. Count your blessings and say thank you. Glad you shared.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.